In connection with the installation of lithium-ion batteries on board Danish ships, the Danish Maritime Authority will in general require the following:
- The batteries shall be installed in a separate compartment.
- Battery compartments next to accommodations, emergency escape ways, LSA equipment, emergency and safety systems etc. and battery spaces next to machinery spaces of category A and other spaces presenting a high or moderate risk of fire incl. special areas, RO-RO area etc., shall be protected with A-60 fire boundaries.
- The ventilation system for the battery compartment shall be independent from other spaces – the exhaust must be regarded as toxic and flammable.
- A fixed fire-extinguishing system shall be installed in the battery compartment. The fire-extinguishing system should be in accordance with the recommendations of the battery manufacturer and RO regulation - other relevant factors established under the risk assessment (Item 8 in this guidance) shall be included.
- The battery and battery installation shall be approved by The DMA or a RO.
- The batteries and the battery installation shall be installed in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions and a RO´s regulations and other relevant standards and regulations if any.
- The installation of a gas detection system in the battery compartment and ventilation systems/ducts shall be considered.
- Electrical installations in the battery compartment and ventilations ducts shall be EX-rated
- A risk analysis of the entire battery installation including a ship specific analysis of the effects on other systems shall be drawn up in accordance with principles described in The DMA circular 30.
- On the basis of the result of the risk analysis mentioned in item 9, additional requirements can be made for the installation.
- The above battery and battery installation requirements can be superseded if the conclusions in a fully made risk assessment according to MSC.Circ.1455 shows equivalent measures to the requirements in this guidance.
- The batteries shall in any case be type approved by a RO.